- Why is it called a root canal?
- The “root canal” refers to the natural cavity in the middle of a tooth. The pulp, or pulp chamber, is the soft area within the root canal. The tooth’s nerve is located within the root canal. Tooth decay, repeated dental procedures, large fillings, cracks, chips and trauma to the face can cause a tooth’s nerve and pulp to become irritated, inflamed or infected. If left untreated, the tissue surrounding the tooth will become infected and abscesses may form.
- Is the root canal procedure painful?
- Many people associate root canals with pain. However, the procedure is not painful. What is painful is an infected tooth that needs a root canal. The infection can press on the nerve, causing extreme pain. Root canals and having a cavity filled are similar in the level of discomfort; once the procedure is completed, the pain from the infection will be gone. Just remember, infected teeth are painful, not root canals.
- What will my tooth look like after a root canal?
- In most cases a dental crown will be placed over your tooth after a root canal. This is needed to protect the structure of your teeth once the interior has been removed. At Pure Dental Health, we have beautiful crowns that can match your other teeth for a natural appearance.
- What will happen if i don’t have root canal therapy?
- If your tooth is infected, not only can it be painful, you could be jeopardizing your tooth and health if you do not have root canal therapy. Often, root canals are the only way to save a severely infected or damaged tooth. Without this procedure, the nerve root can die and the tooth may need to be extracted. You can also be at risk of the infection spreading within your body.
- Why should I choose Pure Dental Health for my procedure?
- At Pure Dental Health, patients receive root canals in the comfort of our clean, contemporary office while enjoying amenities including valet parking, flat screen televisions, hot scented towels and blankets, noise cancelling headphones, a beverage station and an Internet Bar. Dr. Justin Scott also offers sedation dentistry to keep our patients relaxed and comfortable during root canal procedures. Your comfort is always a top priority when you visit Pure Dental Health for any of your dental health needs.
At Pure Dental Health, patients come first. Everything we do is with the patient in mind. We take the time to get to know each one of our patients so that we can provide high quality, personalized care to meet your individual needs. Our goal is for you to have an enjoyable, positive patient experience whether you come in for a routine dental cleaning and checkup or a root canal procedure.
Our dental practice offers competitive pricing and accepts most forms of dental insurance. We offer extended hours to accommodate working professionals. If you live or work in or around Atlanta and are in need of a root canal procedure, please contact Pure Dental Health today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to getting to know you and to helping you take care of your smile.