Severe tooth pain can be a sign of serious tooth problems like infection or abscesses inside the tooth. When the interior of the tooth is compromised, it can be put at risk of needing extraction. Root canal therapy is often the only procedure that can save an infected or seriously damaged tooth. At Pure Dental Health, we offer effective root canals to preserve natural teeth and stop the pain of infection for our patients coming from nearby Dunwoody.
- What causes tooth infections?
- A tooth can become infected or abscessed when bacteria is allowed inside the tooth. This can happen when the tooth is damaged or decay penetrates the outer layers of tooth. Once infection takes hold, inflammation can press on the nerve, causing severe pain. If left untreated, the nerve root can die and the tooth will be lost.
- How do root canals fight tooth infection?
- Root canals stop tooth infection by removing the infected material. The inner chamber of the tooth, or the “root canal,” is cleared of infected pulp and the nerve root is removed during the procedure. The canal is disinfected and packed with a sterile material, then sealed to keep out any infection. Since the nerve is removed, so is the source of pain.
- Will a root canal be painful?
- If you have an infected tooth, you are probably experiencing pain. However, the root canal procedure is not painful in comparison. Your tooth will be numbed with anesthesia; we also have sedation options for our patients that prefer extra help relaxing during this dental treatment. You should not feel any pain during the treatment. The pain of infection will be gone after we remove the nerve root and seal the tooth. You may have slight discomfort or tenderness after the anesthesia wears off, but it is usually tolerable and dissipates quickly as the site heals.
- How will my tooth look after the procedure?
- Since root canals require a portion of the tooth to be removed, a dental crown is used to protect the structure after a root canal. In most cases, a porcelain crown can be used that matches the color of your teeth. This gives your tooth a natural look; no one will even need to know that your tooth had a root canal. Dental crowns are virtually impossible to detect, giving you a natural-appearing smile after your procedure.
- Are infections always present during a root canal?
- Not always – sometimes there is only severe damage; but without a root canal, infection could take hold down the road. Trauma to the tooth can cause interior damage that can only be resolved with a root canal. Our dentist can examine your tooth and determine whether a root canal is necessary, if there is infection present or not.
- What should I expect when I come to Pure Dental Health?
- Expect to be treated as our guest. We have made our office as comfortable as possible for our patients, with amenities you would not expect to enjoy when you go to the dentist. We have valet parking for our patients, plus tasty beverages, an internet bar, scented towels, flat screen TVs and more. But it is not just our extras that will put you at ease. Our friendly, knowledgeable dental team is here to answer all your questions and provide you with the best care available during your dental treatments. We treat all our patients with respect and courtesy, getting to know them on an individual basis.
If you are suffering from a damaged or infected tooth, contact us today for an appointment and come see Pure Dental Health. We are right down the road from Dunwoody in Buckhead. We accept many popular dental plans and have payment options for your convenience.
Why Choose Pure Dental?
Simply put, we know what you’re going through, and we want to help!
- Our doctors have extensive education and experience in wisdom teeth extraction and recovery.
- We offer the latest in sedation therapy.
- We provide a treatment plan consistent with your personal dental health.
- Our doctors and dental care team have been recognized for providing exceptional patient care and communication before, during and after treatment. We believe that in addition to good service, patients have a good understanding of the options, recovery, and care.
You can trust Pure Dental for superior, patient-centered care.