If you want to maintain white teeth, you probably already know to stay away from dark-colored sodas, coffee, red wine and smoking. However, did you know that there are healthy foods that can stain your teeth too? Don’t worry; there are also some nutritious food choices that can help whiten your teeth too. Knowing which foods impact the appearance of your smile can help you eat smarter for a whiter, brighter smile.
Whether you are trying to retain the results of a recent teeth whitening procedure, or you simply want to try and achieve a lighter tooth shade on your own, consider these good and bad food options.
Healthy Foods That Stain
Due to their exaggerated color and often acidic nature, the following food options are known for staining your teeth, or leaving them more yellow, dark or dull than you’d like:
- Berries – including blueberries, pomegranates, blackberries, cherries, cranberries, grapes, and other colored fruits.
- Beets – watch out for the more concentrated juice form.
- Nuts – black walnuts in particular will discolor teeth.
- Sauces – soy sauce, curry sauce, tomato sauce, ketchup and other deeply colored sauces.
Healthy Foods That Whiten
You’ll be glad to know that there are ways to naturally scrub your pearly whites and prevent extrinsic tooth staining with what you eat. Try these healthy food choices to keep your teeth a brilliant white:
- Cheese (cheddar cheese counteracts acids in foods, cleaning your teeth and restoring the pH balance in your mouth)
In addition to the above mentioned foods, try chewing sugarless gum after meals or taking frequent sips of water throughout the day when you can’t brush. Also, consider using a straw when drinking dark-colored beverages.
If you’re currently suffering from a dingy or stained smile, we can help you at Pure Dental Health. We proudly offer the best in modern teeth whitening. In fact, we offer free whitening for life for our patients. When you continue coming to us for your routine cleanings every six months, you will receive free teeth whitening gel during your visits.
2285 Peachtree Rd NE, Suite 203
Atlanta, GA 30309
Phone: (678) 666-3642